The Foundation honors Mrs. Sewall’s interests and lifetime of philanthropy by supporting a limited number of organizations with whom she had personal relationships and affinity and who continue to do the work that she funded in her lifetime. Through these Legacy grants, the Board of Director’s recognizes the significance of these organizations to Mrs. Sewall.
Only those organizations that have been identified by the Foundation as a Legacy organization and continue to meet the Considerations for Legacy Grants (below), are eligible to apply for these grants. If you are uncertain whether your organization qualifies, please contact the Foundation.
Review Considerations for Legacy Grants
Grant requests will be evaluated based on the Foundation’s General Considerations and those listed below.
- Organization is a designated Legacy organization, as predetermined by the Sewall Foundation (thus may work outside current Sewall Foundation priorities)
- Organization continues work that was important to, and funded by, Mrs. Sewall in her lifetime and remains relevant today
- Organization is well run, financially stable and making positive impact in its field of work
- Does not serve at cross purposes to any Sewall Foundation priorities or values
- Fit with Foundation’s General Considerations for grant making
The deadline for applying is June 15, 5pm EST. In the event the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the application will be due by 5pm on the next business day. The online application is available from March 15 to June 15. Decisions will be announced in early October.
Please review the 2017 Legacy Application Guide prior to starting an application. It provides instructions, grant guidelines, and the application narrative questions. We also recommend you visit our Application Instructions page, and our Online Application Guide for tips on using our online application system.
We encourage you to cut and paste your narrative responses from a word processing application (Word, Google Docs, etc.) to ensure work is not lost should there be an internet connectivity or technology glitch. If you are having difficulty accessing the application, please try using a different browser.
Start a New Application
Regardless of whether you have an existing account (from a previous grant cycle), you must select “New Application” with each new grant cycle.
Select this option if you want to return to an application you have already started for the current grant cycle.